Tuesday 19 December 2017

Bewildered

I follow Robert MacFarlane on Twitter and recently came across this tweet for his word of the day on December 11th 2017 complete with the included image..

Word of the day: "bewilder" - "To lose in pathless places, to confound for want of a plain road" (Samuel Johnson); from the verb "wilder", meaning "to lose one's way, as in a wild or unknown place" (first usage, 1613).



I was intrigued by this as it explains the point that I have been trying to make in my BOW. In quoting from my introductory text I wrote:-

......Following a woodland path is not straightforward.  The horizon is limited.  Woods muffle external sounds leaving only birdsong, the rustling of leaves or the creaking of trees in the wind.  Choices have to be made.  The path may be broad and well-defined; boundaries may be clear with wild and tangled undergrowth beyond.  Other paths are less definite, ephemeral, a trace of a path.  Perhaps there will only be a bent blade of grass or scuffed leaves that indicate that something has passed this way.  Is the decision made to remain on the wider track, safer, more secure where many have travelled before; or is it to follow the less sure route and, if so, what is to be found at its furthest extremity?  Nothing - just the wood?  Or is there a way forward by making one’s own path and forging a new route?


I think that the point that I was making that at the end of the path when the wood appears to be impenetrable then we can be 'bewildered' as in MacFarlane's tweet.  We then have to ask ourselves "Do we turn back or forge a new path"; it is easy to become bewildered.  Included below is the final image from my BOW submitted for the November assessment.

As my work develops in SYP, I have been experimenting with including more images of 'bewiderment' perhaps pairing images of paths with images of impenetrable woodland.  Example images are shown below.:-





I have also been experimenting that sense of fear and bewilderment that we can feel in thick woodland at the end of the day.  To this end I have been playing with double exposure, ICM images, hoping to evoke those feelings.








No comments:

Post a Comment